Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hawaii Super Ferry to Maui

The kids were excited about our first ride on the brand new Hawaii Super Ferry!!! We had decided to ride the Super Ferry because Curt had bought his own Christmas present last month-a very nice 2006, 4-door Toyota Tacoma. a good deal that he found on Craigslist. Sorry, I just realized that we didn't take any pictures of the truck yet. Now Curt has his new big-boy toy and can hang his drool-towel up to dry. Ferry fees cost us only $55 for the truck and $39 per passenger. We drove right onto the boat, parked and then went up to the passenger deck. It was convenient to load up the truck bed with our Christmas goodies and bulky items!

It was an early morning of lugging ourselves and the kids to the dock by 5:45 am. We all took a dose of Dramamine in anticipation of being seasick. I think it made us sleepy by the time it kicked in.
The accommodations were very comfy, lots of flat screen tv's a couple snack bars, a kids play room, computer room, featured movie area, lots of barf bags close at hand. Aside from these pictures I took, this was the only time I walked around (I don't have sea-worthy footing nor was I feeling like throwing a party).
After taking our own personal tour of the new boat we all settled in to our seats...we had an early morning so we were lulled to sleep by the rocking and swaying of the waves. The ride was about 3 1/2 hours...and it was COLD!!! The air-conditioning seemed to have been turned up all the way!
Curt and I got a little green. I wasn't feeling so great by the time we hit the choppy Moloka'i channel's swells. UGHHHHH. Well, I will admit that I felt better after I "coughed" into a cute little white bag. Some other passengers were found to be doing the same thing, sleeping and discreetly taking their little white barf bags to the bathroom. Thankfully, no one started a barf-arama!
View of Moloka'i
View of Cute-ness!Big Cookies = HappinessI grabbed this picture as we were driving off the dock...sorry about the blurry pic (some salt water spray gon on the lens!) Overall, it was a good experience. Even though there is some controversy about the boat services (activists and environmental protests) I feel that the locals can benefit from another method of travel that will help us to spend more time with our family and friends on other islands. Although, I’d rather fly any day and will only travel on the Super Ferry again if I need to transport a car or bulky items! :p

No comments: