Wednesday, January 2, 2008

NEW YEAR'S DAY- Family Traditions and More food to eat!

New Year's Day! Spent some time with my side of the family.

Dad grating the coconut meat into fine shreds.
I woke up to the sound of coconut husking, cracking and the pouring of coconut nut juice. A lot of work goes in to making the traditional Tahitian Faraoa Coco, a sweet and heavy coconut bread made from flour, sugar,coconut juice, grated coconut.

The meat and coconut from approx. 17 coconuts were used for this batch.

I was the official "faraoa mixer" this year.


I put about a bowl of mixture on to the tin foil and dad quickly folds and rolls the dough to be baked in the oven at 350 degrees.








Off to visit the cousins in Kailua! Most of us dressed in green to show our UH Warrior support. The anticipated Sugar Bowl game between University and Georgia would be the highlight of the day (fingers crossed).
The kids had fun adding some UH spirit to Uncle Russell's car.

Eat and Lounge...then Lounge and Eat. It's hard work putting on the Holiday 5lbs!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Cuz,

It's Teina Tahauri (your Uncle son). What a beautiful website. You have a beautiful familiy. It was nice to see you all in the family group shots. I'm now totally jonesing for coconut bread. I haven't had that in a very long time! You can email me at ttahauri@gmail.com and I'll send you a few family pics we have and exchange contact info.

Best wishes,

Teina